Friday, July 30, 2010

Discommunication Seireihen chapters 4-9

I'd forgotten how long it takes to compile those notes. It's a fairly straightforward task, but somehow all that copy/pasting URLs and ahref-ing gets old real fast. But it was fun tracking down references, watching weird commercials, and learning more about the tokusatsu shows the author is so fond of. Ueshiba is not shy about letting his influences show, and as a Westerner, establishing this series' place in the wider schema of Modern Visual Culture is a fascinating exercise. While youtube is an easy place to start, so far I've tracked down the DVD of the Teito Monotagari anime (Doomed Megalopolis) and I'm looking forward to getting Natsuhiko Kyogoku's Summer of the Ubume.

This is the first summer in a while where I've been completely free; no obligations, no job, no nothing. While I haven't gotten as much done as I would like, I guess I've managed to make some progress. The semester is approaching, though, and I need to get ready for it. I can't keep up this pace forever, but I have managed to streamline my process somewhat, so this project will get wrapped up sooner or later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for translating Discommunication:Seireihen!
Extra thanks for including such in-depth notes. BTW, you were right to include the NSFW tag - some of the images are really pretty dangerous, if you what I mean.

(comment moved from other post)

iccanobif said...

Mindblowing.
And I'd miss so much stuff if it wasn't for your notes... Slowly reading the chapters and watching all the weird commercials and tokusatsu shows made for an awesome afternoon. Thanks.

Alexp said...

Thanks for the release...

I like the works of Ueshiba Richii and i was looking to read more of them

I hope u can release another chap soon :)